Friday, May 19, 2017

The Underbrush

The 2017 Pantone Quilt Challenge was announced back in March, and it seemed like there was plenty of time! But it took me until 10 days ago to pull out my greens and start cutting. I'd had weeks to come up with a design, but as I began, all I knew for sure was.... improv spikes.


And more spikes.


Aaaannnnddddd.... more.


I was having fun making those spikey slabs, but honestly, still no inkling of a quilt plan. sigh


I rearranged my blocks over and over again. I slept on it and rearranged them again.


I started making a few other random blocks - diamonds, hourglass, and even stripes, when my stash didn't come through for me....



And finally, finally, I had a quilt top.


At about 36" square, I decided my quilting needed to have as much variety as my blocks, so that's what I've been working on the last several days.



The challenge link is open today through May 29, so the clock is ticking, but I'm pretty confident I can do this thing!

21 comments:

  1. You can definitely get this finished in time! What is the main green you decided to go with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!! My greenery project is currently spread all over my lounge room floor in pieces... not sure if I'll make the deadline lol.
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I like it. Love the pop of pink in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've loved watching this come together (despite my teasing, I think it's awesome!) I hope I get my greenery mini back from the quilter in time to finish and enter it

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be so pleased with how this turned out! It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love those looong skinny spikes at the bottom! And the quilting is really bringing it to life! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Methinks you work well (very well!) under pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...it is so bright and invigorating! Can't wait for the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE it! It looks like a Backgammon board a little.
    It is such a cool design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic, Debbie! I love the thin pieces like grass and the pink is perfect! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you creative one you! I love those spikes:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks amazing! I'm in love with the spikes! I'm pretty sure I won't make the deadline to enter...shoot I haven't even started! I'll take some inspiration from you and maybe start today...quickly!

    Great quilting on this BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are amazing! Love what you have come up with and the green you have used - with that little pop of pink color - and your quilting. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an interesting design ! Love the touch of pink too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is coming along beautifully. You are so talented :)
    Happy weekend!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh it's funny but "Ice Age" popped into my head when I looked at your quilt. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt! Love the pink splashes and I can't wait to see the finished quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those improv stripes are so good! And that little pop of Flamingo is fun! I have no doubt you'll have this finished in time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving yours, but glad mine is finished and posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those improv spikes. They might go on my bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete