Monday, May 8, 2017

Show and Tell and Then Some

When either hauling a quilt to guild meeting for sew and tell or passing a giving committee quilt from member to member for the next step, I've often struggled to find a bag both large and sturdy enough, let along my preference - hand-made. So when Amanda Jean/crazy mom quilts offered up a copy of her Show and Tell Bags pattern, I was on it!


I'd been in a scrappy mood, but when I saw the pattern actually suggested a layer cake, I reached back in the stash for one I'd stored for too long. I opted to make the middle version of the bag, which measures 20" wide x 19 1/2" tall x 5 1/2" deep, and is definitely large enough for my intended purpose. (Note that the largest "Jumbo" bag is large enough to hold a young child!) For lining and handles, I used Essex linen blend in natural, and though the pattern includes instructions for a removable bottom insert, my bag stands alone well enough.

Obviously, the bag would be awesome made from scraps.... next time!

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday!

12 comments:

  1. yup I do believe I need one of these bags in my possession! well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice bag. Like the size also! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's brilliant! I have the same issues when I take quilts from A to B! I always end up with the not so nice blue IKEA bag... the self made version is A LOT prettier! Ok, that goes on my to-make list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think of myself as a bag person. Then, I see something as pretty and practical as this and realize I'm more of a custom bag person. Such a great version here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the layercake is glad it came finally out of hiding. It turned into such a cute new bag. Hope you will use it a lot and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute and perfect use of that layer cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it! Very practical and a very good idea! I'm not looking for another project to do...but you have me interested!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a beautiful job! Love those bird prints!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great and I can see how practical it would be too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have to go find this bag. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic bag and very practical! It's so great to have something to tote around quilts.

    ReplyDelete