Monday, May 22, 2017

EverGreenery

Frustration and fun all rolled into one! I shared a bit about my struggle coming up with a quilt design for the 2017 Pantone Quilt Challenge in my last post, but perseverance won out and I'm really pleased to present the result, EverGreenery!


I knew from the moment Pantone announced Greenery as the Color of the Year, I'd be incorporating it into my work. From early on, Kona Parrot was deemed a close match to the official Greenery swatch card, thus the start of my fabric pull. I used a mix of solids and prints on a low-volume background.


Improv spikes played a key role, and I filled in around them with improv hourglasses, diamonds, and stripes, basically made to order as I pieced the spike slabs together. Snuck in was a lone spike of Pink Flamingo, as well as spikes made from a discarded crazy-pieced block from another project.


Quilting was also improvisational with my walking foot, the majority done using Aurifil 50wt 2021 [Natural White], with a touch of both 1114 [Grass Green] and 2435 [Peachy Pink] for good measure. Admittedly some of the quilting designs might have been easier (less turning and rotating) done free-motion, but that wasn't the space I was in. On a project of this size (35" x 36"), it worked.






Kona Parrot was also used for the chunky binding (5/8" finished), and I like how it kind of keeps all that craziness under control.


So there you go! Dare I say, I'm delighted with the finish, so much so that I switched out the display rod in our dining room and hung it there. You know, so I can enjoy it to my heart's content.


Linking up "EverGreenery" (35" x 36")!


Links to previous year's Pantone Quilt Challenge quilts: 

25 comments:

  1. It turned out so well. I love the color, but the quilting is really fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that you added in the touch of the Kona color of the year, too. And I'm glad frustration turned into fun turned into joy at the finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very pretty quilt! Perserverance, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this especially the splash of flamingo! It was really fun seeing all the progress pictures of IG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just amaze me! I love everything you do. I just get inspired every time I see your blog posts. Love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning, Debbie! I love the quilting, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your finish ! I especially like the picture with the potted plant and the little flamingo piece of cardboard :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congats on the finish! I just love how you quilted the diamonds or square in a square blocks with such movement! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super quilt finish!! Love the wider binding! Awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt. I love the touch of flamingo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it so much! Picking mine up from my quilter today. woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilting is fantastic, and I love that you included the more muted shades of green. I think that really makes the design shine (otherwise, Greenery by itself can be a bit overbearing)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out amazing! You out did yourself with the design, use of 'green' and the quilting! I really like the bit of flamingo, it gives it a little sass!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a special piece. The balance between the spiky bits, rectangular pieces and white space is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the piece especially the shot of pink.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! Especially the pop of flamingo, and the quilting in the sort-of-square-in-square blocks. So many different elements, so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is stunning quilt! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! And the quilting is superb! You were definitely in the zone. Good luck in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely; and amazing detailed quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is stunning, the quilting is just out of this world!! I see passion in your work and, you always have the best pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've lots of the Pantone challenge quilts, and this one ranks up there with the best of them. I really love the way you mixed in the many sizes of the same element and used stripes to contrast with you HSRs. Oh, for your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just had a look at all the quilts, it is a beautiful challenge with many talents! But yours is definitely the one I prefer.
    Katell, France

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful work as usual, Debbie!! Loved seeing the close up quilting shots here.

    ReplyDelete