Definition #3 according to Merriam-Webster: "a group or scattering of similar things" .... which is exactly what I set out to create in my latest quilt. What led me to even think of Archipelago as a quilt name was my use of Bahama, one of the Free Spirit Designer Essentials, as my background fabric. I intentionally opted for a color outside my norm, and it was an enjoyable diversion.
A modern interpretation of the very traditional log cabin block, this quilt was made intentionally as an entry to 2017 QuiltCon's American Patchwork & Quilting Nine-Patch Challenge. Whether or not anyone else thinks it qualifies as a nine-patch remains to be seen, but meanwhile, its blocks were exceedingly satisfying to make and the finish pretty darn close to what I'd had in my mind's eye when I began.
The one frustration - and there certainly was one - was the quilting. Measuring 75"x88", this quilt was bigger than I was comfortable with to quilt as I'd originally hoped - something with alot of turning that echoed the mood and shape of the blocks. My second idea was to free-motion quilt it, still with that echo in mind. But within 15 minutes of that, I could feel the stress rising dramatically and knew I wasn't up for what it would take - or do it well. Fast-forward through several tedious unpicking sessions, and I got back to it, this time with an angled grid that I felt pretty good about. I usually quilt much denser, so I'm not real keen on the looseness of the fabric in some portions of the grid; yet on the other hand, it fits the scale and odd angles of the blocks. I used Aurifil 50wt 5006 (light turquoise), a lovely shade that is visible enough while still nestling in discreetly.
Finished off with faced binding, I'll honestly say though I'm very pleased with the result, I'm glad it's done. Though piecing the blocks was quite fun, this one reminded me that a discomfort quilting larger quilts still exists. oh well.