Friday, June 19, 2015

Living Large

It's true that my Faith Circle swap partner asked for a "large 'flat' pin cushion" but I kind of got carried away.
I started with the 12 1/2" New England Quilt Block tutorial by A Bright Corner, down-sizing by 50%. I dug into my mix of Bonnie and Camille charms and created the block with a controlled scrappiness that I though my partner might like.
Concerned that my block was a tad large for a pincushion, I matchstick quilted it, hoping it would shrink the block a bit. If it did, it was imperceptible.
Next try: I zig-zagged the edges, gently hand-washed it, and tossed it in the dryer, again hoping it would shrink. It did not.
So I went with it! What's the definition of large anyway? I hoped against hope it was 6".

Good news! Julia/red rainboots handmade seemed to love it just like it is. whew.

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

19 comments:

  1. I have been making lots of pin cushions about that size following Lori Holt's tutorial from the beginning of May. I love the quilting on yours and of course the Bonnie and Camille fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful. I'm sure she loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the texture from the matchstick quilting and a 6 inch square is about all I would want to do! Isn't it funny how the perception of small changes with the project involved?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea. I love this large pincushion. Might have to copy you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know she will love it! so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful and even before your partner responded, I would've said it was the perfect large for a pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think pin cushions are generally too small. I love your take on the pincushion. Super!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debbie! I shall absolutely make this large pin cushion! This is Super and really practical. Doesn't fell down and you don't need to look where you put the pins when you are looking your work. Very beautiful! and in the bigger one, we can use a quilt block; if it's tiny tiny, it's better to be just simply from one fabric. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol! Isn't that the way it goes- you want it to shrink and it doesn't - if was the other way around it surely would have! It's darling

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that is a perfect size. I wouldn't be losing it too easily that way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Six inches is the perfect size for pin cushion! I was recently gifted one of a similar size and I love it! Your partner will love this too! Especially with its bright and happy colours and fabulous quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful block and pincushion! Of course she would love it. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is such a pretty pin cushion! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like large pin cushions. I find most are to small. Great job> Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so ironic. It seems like blocks shrink of the own accord when you try to get them to stay a certain size. But then, you actually wanted to shrink this one down, and it decides to go against all your efforts. Silly, noncooperative blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome pincushion! I think the size is great, it will stay put and she will be able to find it easily. Love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's perfect in every way, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am loving reading your blog lately! this pincushion is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete