Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Hello, Lola!

Every now and then, don't you just get the urge to drop everything and do something totally unplanned? I sure do, and I did just that Friday night after checking out the new lola pouch pattern from Svetlana/s.o.t.a.k handmade.
I made the larger of 2 sizes offered, which measured a roomy 12” x 6.5” x 4”. Black Essex yard dyed linen was my choice for the exterior bottom, and the rest of the fabrics are Cotton + Steel. I do love fussy-cutting now and then, and it was perfect for the main print (Night Sky in Indigo) so I could get as many complete butterflies as I could, and match that 'bunting' on both sides. Sometimes I don't want a really poofy pouch, so I opted to use Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex in place of the suggested fusible fleece on the exterior pieces. (It's also used on the lining.) I think this combo makes for a sturdy yet flexible finish.

My favorite detail of the entire pouch is that recessed zipper. I'd never done one, and Svetlana's technique was flawless. I really loved the stripe she'd used on the zipper binding of her own pouches (click the pattern link for photos), but there was no stripe in my C+S stash, so I made do by cutting the Backgammonish print just so to create the stripe I wanted. Very fun!

I'll definitely be adding Lola to my zip pouch repertoire. It's a keeper!

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday.

11 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I have never made a pouch. It is all the layers that intimidate me. Fear of using the wrong fusible and wrecking my work! Gotta get over that. Thank you for showing off your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute pouch Debbie. Within minutes of seeing your pouch, I bought a pattern. Thanks for directing me over to Svetlana's pattern. On a side note, bummer about The Super Bowl ending. It was a good game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful pouch Debbie. I just love all the fabrics you combined together, so totally perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful pouch! You have such an eye for what works together, and this is awesome! I'm off now to check out that pattern. I like the way the top is done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is lovely! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recessed zipper is definitely a cool feature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your version & the stripe binding you created is brilliant! I knew you'd like this pattern... it's a great one

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a very elegant pouch and you have done a wonderful job in its construction! I agree- that recessed zip looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She does write a wonderful pattern! And your sewing and fabric selection is the perfect complement!

    ReplyDelete