Thursday, October 16, 2014

Postcards do.Good

Though I had already made two postcard quilts {here and here}, they both used large-scale prints as focus fabrics. I still wanted to try one more quilt that used solid postcard blocks, so I asked the FAITH Circle of do.Good Stitches to help me out.
We started with this palette from design seeds.

I asked my group to use my Postcard Block tutorial and make:
  • Postcard 'fronts' out of solids within the palette. Some of my bee-mates didn't have the solids, so I asked them to use tone on tone fabrics. 
  • Postcard 'backs' using any shade of gray for the vertical line and text prints for the 2 'halves'. If they didn't have text prints, I asked for 'blank' postcards, using solid white or cream, or white on white. 
  • 6 of each type of block sewn together to make 2 - 12 1/2" unfinished blocks
 Here's one of my sample blocks.
This was a pretty simple top to put together, even though I ended up unpicking 2 blocks down the center, due to my own little design error. An easy fix.

For the back, I had chosen and purchased the purple texty stripe from SUCH Designs before I even got my blocks back. It just seemed the perfect choice for this quilt's theme and mix of colors.
I continued the theme with the quilting, "scribbling" across the quilt using one of my machine's zig-zag stitches widened and stretched. Aurifil 50wt #2021 (Natural White) was a good choice, considering both white and off-white were used in the blocks.
I decided to keep the binding kind of subtle and went with a small-scale text print
Finishing at 48" x 60", this quilt will be sent to Restore Innocence, FAITH Circle's chosen charity, where hopefully it can provide some healing and hope.

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday and Fabric Tuesday.

19 comments:

  1. I think the success of this quilt comes from the initial colour palette! It's beautiful! The wriggly line quilting is becoming a favourite of mine too! Great job Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful color palate and lovely quilt overall. It is sure to bring warmth and happiness to the receiver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, thoughtful project. It is a lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful! someone will be so lucky to receive it. I love that zig-zaggy quilting too, use it often

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful quilt with this block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This pattern looks great with the solids, I think this might be my favourite version of it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. a wonderful Quilt. i like it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous Debbie! Love the plum colour

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can never have enough postcard quilts! :)
    I love the colors and the text fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! Yes, the color pallet with text prints are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilt! It is so perfect, color and design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is beautiful. The fabric selections, backing, and quilting style go so well together. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quilting on this. The fabric choice and quilting go together so well making this beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing color palette... I just love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete