Wednesday, October 29, 2014

I Made a Garment

I have the diploma to prove it, but these past couple of weeks I could hardly believe that I actually earned a degree in home economics. Old-school title, I know, but back in the day it included household finance, nutrition, meal-prep and such, and of course, textiles, clothing construction and tailoring. So it was somewhat comical that I experienced so much frustration sewing my first garment in a very long time.
As daughter dear so aptly shared last week, she and I had recently both pinned The Julia Cardigan on Pinterest, and decided to tackle it together on a recent sewing day. Now you should know, Rachel has been actively sewing garments for herself over the last year, where I hadn't sewn one for myself in, say, 30 years. Yeah. So, there's good news and bad news.

Good news: I love pdf patterns. With quick delivery and easy storage, they are almost always my preference.
Bad news: For garments, there are many, many pages. That need to be taped together before (note to self!) cutting them out. The finished pattern was kind of unwieldy, but I managed.

Good news: The fabric I chose was lovely, Robert Kaufman Laguna Cotton Jersey Knit Solid in Pepper. Just my color, and so soft and potentially cozy.
Bad news: It curls! Which made it finicky to cut, piece, and finish. Also, since I rarely prewash my quilting cottons, it didn't even dawn on me to prewash the jersey knit, but Rachel suggested I really should have, so I definitely will if there's a next time.

Good news: The pattern comes with a wide range of size options, which is really great.
Bad news: I made the mistake of cutting out the size that fit my normal 'dress' size, rather than by taking my measurements. Important lesson learned.
Good news: Despite everything, it turned out really nice and is soft and comfy.
Bad news: It doesn't fit me, but thankfully fits Rachel to a T. What a deal, huh?

So this wasn't one of those projects I breezed through, but the pattern itself worked well, and it makes up into a great wardrobe basic. Just for the record though, don't expect to see another garment post here anytime soon. Back to quilting!

This project was on my 2014 Q4 FAL list!
Linking up to Finish It Up Friday.

25 comments:

  1. What a lovely story! I do not like sewing clothes as they rarely fit but this one is great and what a lovely coincidence that it fits your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I'm with you on making garments -- a few too many bad experiences. Great job with this one though! Lucky Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for giving it a go. It turned out nicely (especially for Rachel!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a lovely sweater! lucky Rachel is right. don't give up garments for good, you do a great job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer. You need one that fits you! Who will make another- you or Rachel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky Rachel! I have not made a garment for some time for the same reason, they are always more work than one might expect. But clearly, challenging or not, you still have all the skills, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is why I don't sew clothing anymore. I used to make most of my clothes, but then it go to where, no matter what the patterns says regarding fit, the thing turned out either too big or too small! I never invested in a form...that might have helped. It looks great tho...and, well you finished the danged thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for trying it with me! I think it turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, I've been sewing clothes lately and I can never seem to get the fit right the first time I sew something! Glad I'm not the only one! It's really cute though! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it looks fantastic, it stinks that it doesn't fit, but at least Rachel can wear it, so not a total loss!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fab. I have never sewn with jersey but have some in my stash. I gave up sewing for myself as I could never get the right fit. I switched to quilting and I sew garments for my grandchildren, it seemed the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see the beautiful clothing items that Girls in the Garden makes and I appreciate them from afar because ready made clothes are just fine for me. The ways she alters patterns for the perfect fit is nothing short of amazing. I'm just too impatient. Quilts always fit! Great job and so glad it fits daughter dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a Home Eccy too...
    love the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the drape on it. Looks as if it will fall well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm about to make this one too - I got it as part of Perfect Pattern Parcel #6. I've got lots of throwaway knit and a serger so maybe I'll have an easier time. I'm with you on taping up all those pages though. Such a pain!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks lovely! I've also been guilty of being so excited about sewing a garment that I forgot to prewash. You only do it once though. :) That jersey from Imagine Gnats is great quality! I've made several pairs of leggings for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have that same "old fashioned" degree! LOL And....I would sure rather fit my grandies in garment sewing than myself! Did you used to make suits, too, like I did? I can't believe it, really!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just printed that out! Looking forward to the frustration with all those steps ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's awesome. Pat yourself on the back. I'd make another one, just cause it's so dang perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I began as a garment sewer. I still have clothing patterns and a sizeable fashion fabric stash. Quilts are SO much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  21. it looks great! It is so tricky to get the fit perfect. Darn. So good thing it fits your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really a lovely cardigan! Your saga of events reminds me of why I rarely see or crochet clothing...because in the end it's supposed to fit, and in my limited experience it often doesn't. Great that it fits Rachel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah yes, I had a rant about those pattern sizes versus high street sizes a few years ago (not helped by the fact that the UK and US high street sizes are different BTW, so a 12 here is an 8-10 in the US). Sizes on patterns were set in the 50's and have never really changed, whereas high street sizes have got bigger and bigger. It would be easier if they all just had a measurement it!

    Still, it looks great even if you can't wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. well, it looks fantastic! I love it! A lot of the pdf patterns are now able to print just one size! That's what I'm liking! And some are even offering to print full size without the taping together! which I am also loving. I haven't done one yet, but I like the idea!

    ReplyDelete