Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Patchwork Please! :: Handy Market Tote

This week's project was another that caught my eye at first glance through Ayumi's book. But when I read through step #1 this morning, I was stumped with the 'folded strip.' So I conferred with Amber, our sew along blogger who had already made the tote, and she set me straight. It should read 'folded strip of elastic'. Ah ha. Once I got that little detail, it was smooth sailing!

I really loved the combo of fabrics I chose for the tote: Essex yarn dyed in blackiHaus by Cloud9architextures, heath, and some classic dots. And construction was a breeze. Though one other thing to note is that if you want your bag to look like in the book, add "top-stitch along top edge" to the end of step #3.

In the interest of time in a busy week, I did take a couple of short-cuts that I thought wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the bag. I omitted the interior pockets and also the button closures on the large exterior pockets. With the heavy interfacing (I used Pellon 809 Decor-Bond), I didn't think the pockets needed the closure, and I'm perfectly happy with my choice. Since I was using fat-quarters for the pockets, the sides of the tote coordinate, but are different.

One of the features I really like is the handles. For one, they are good and strong and wide. Another - the pattern has you 'double them up' right where you'll hang on to them, a feature I think I'll find very useful, and I'm glad to have tried this method just for the sake of trying it.


Though I had a bit of a stumble-start, I am thoroughly pleased with my finished bag. It's a keeper!

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

19 comments:

  1. It's a great bag Debbie! I love your fabric choices- especially the contrasting (matching?) pockets! Very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking tote Debbie! Love the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. I like the fabrics, I would like to have them too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your choices, beautiful! I'm still amazed at what you get done, you are superwoman! Thank you for helping me to keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tote turned out awesome, and I love the graphic print. It's too funny that I have polka dots picked out for my handles. I may have to adjust now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tote Debbie - love the fabrics together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great Debbie. Wish I was a bit better at putting fabrics together. I love these. And yay for helpful friends too, who can help make fuzzy directions clearer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad you like it... I was just about to offer you to take it off your hands ;) I love your fabrics. Eye catching and unusual. I'm sure it will be used a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for passing on the folded strip tip!
    Looks great, Debbie! Love the fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This bag is going to turn heads! You'd better be prepared to tell people you made it, then take some orders. Awesome fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just started to make mine today and ingot stuck on the first step too. I even read it out loud to the hubby and he just looked at me like what do you want me to do about it. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one. Too funny!!! Hopefully I'll catch up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this bag!! The fabrics are just beautiful!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad I found your website: Had the same problem with this pattern and reading your instructions really helped. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete