Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

I might as well admit up front that Tuesday at the Table is getting the short end of the stick this week. Every spare minute has gone to this . . .
Yes, Mod Crosses in black and white, just to take a look at value. As you can see, laying these blocks out pretty much filled the room! I've got all the blocks sewn into rows now, and the top four rows together. whew.

Meanwhile, I've heard a few of you (here and on IG) mention the new cookbooks you got for Christmas, so I thought I'd share mine. Friends and family know I love cookbooks, but rarely do I get four!  
I really enjoy Giada's cookbooks, and was really pleased to receive "weeknights". I can definitely use the help getting meals on the table after a full day at work. One of the recipes I really want to try soon is the Creamy Sweet Potato and Rosemary Soup, which for your convenience is also here.

The Pioneer Woman is just plain fun, and I swear every recipe of hers that I've tried has been delightful and down-to-earth. (meatloaf! cinnamon rolls!) Plus I just really enjoy her entertaining writing style.

I shared about skillet recently, and boy have I regretted not trying Poutine last week when we visited the diner, after hearing all your comments. Luckily, I found a recipe on epicurious, so we tried it (with frozen fries even), and though not authentic obviously, we really enjoyed it. Not every day food, but you can bet I'll try it next time it's offered.

And then there's Flavors, which is organized by the most enticing flavor themes, among them - Herb Garden, Salt and Pepper, Garlic, Chile and Spice, Smoke and Coals, Ocean, Chocolate and Vanilla. It looks a bit more "special occasion", but the photos are mouth-watering.

Soooo, plenty of inspiration for mealtime. I really have no excuse, now do I?

Feel free to share from your kitchen, table, or related projects and link up here. And if you, too, got a new cookbook, I'd love to hear about it!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to the sweet potato soup! I'll try this when we have some cooler weather! I bought my husband, the cook of the family, a BBQ book for Christmas. Don't suppose you want BBQ anything at the moment either!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, those recipe books look fab! I'm patiently waiting for the Smitten Kitchen one - originally it was meant to be getting released everywhere at the same time, but then they found some European printer/distributer and translator, so it'll be early February for us *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Pioneer Woman my favorite si far rrom that book is the chicken parmagiana. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls are amazing! I really enjoy her writing, and I try to catch Giada on t.v. (my husband is usually watching her, hmmmmm). Looking forward to a post with a recipe from Skillet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I intend to share a picture of the ones I received, too. Maybe for your next link up!

    I do love both of Pioneer Woman's books, and I'm very interested in the Flavors one. I'll have to look that up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt looks really nicely balanced. I forget about this method of checking value - must remember!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful cookbooks! You know which cookbook I received for Christmas. :) Thank you for the soup link - I have all of the ingredients in the house and may make that tonight for dinner...I need a breather after last night's fried chicken. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea with the black and white photo! I'll have to remember that!

    And I have the Pioneer Woman's cookbook on my list to order! I love her too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, love cookbooks. Especially from Junior Leagues or schools. Do you watch Trisha Yearwood's cooking show on the Food Network? She makes EVERYTHING look easy and fast. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No special cookbooks here ( to be honest I've gotten to know all my local take away places way to well lately ) but I have to say I looove your new quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. PW is my favourite and I frequently get recipes from her Tasty Kitchen blog as well. I make her short ribs and polenta with goat cheese as a special occasion meal. We also make her mashed potatoes frequently and I even got my 80-year old dad making them! This Christmas, I watched Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Christmas - I don't like his shows, typically, but when he is just teaching cooking in his home kitchen, he is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got two new cookbooks for Christmas. Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (from which I've already made 2 recipes) and All About Roasting which I'm slowly reading, thinking about the recipes and planning my next shopping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a nice balance of colour Debbie. It will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The quilt is looking sooo great! I love the balance of colors in BW--great idea. I'm feeling so loved. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just put the Smitten Kitchen book on my wishlist. I have the Pioneer Woman's and love it. I do love me some cookbooks. I'll sit and read them over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what fun cookbooks! I got one for Christmas too...I'll have to blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i bought the americas test kitchen/cooks illustrated christmas cookie book after christmas. it has some delicious looking cookies in it and i am really looking forward to trying them all!

    ReplyDelete