Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

I love hummus, I really do. I have a favorite recipe I make often. And I have a favorite purchased variety I also enjoy often. But when I read the recent post by Smitten Kitchen about her "Ethereally Smooth Hummus," I have no doubt my jaw {literally} dropped.

Friends, she suggests, somewhat hesitantly, to peel the chickpeas!
In all my years of foodie-ness, I have never ever heard of doing such a thing. But you probably aren't surprised that I just had to try it! And you know, it took just a few minutes - 10 maybe. And it wasn't hard. Maybe it could even be considered relaxing.
And before I knew it, I had peeled, blended till powdery, added to, and drizzled in to create a mighty fine tasting hummus. Though Deb calls her hummus dollop-able, her pics make it look very creamy. Mine was more the dollop-able variety. Ethereally smooth on the tongue? Definitely. Delicious enough to make again? For sure. Better than my own scoop-able recipe? Well, not necessarily.
But you can bet I'll be trying this again - maybe next time soaking dried beans first. At any rate, it was a fun and tasty experiment.

My friend Pam deserves full credit for 'my' hummus recipe. I didn't really care for hummus until I tasted hers years ago. And what made me a convert, I think, was the garlic. Do try Deb's recipe. It's good. But if you're not into peeling, try Pam's and mine. It's a keeper.

Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans (15 oz.) -- drained, but save liquid
1/4 cup tahini
1 Tb. olive oil
2 tsp. lemon juice
6 cloves garlic -- crushed (6 to 8)
1 t. sea salt
pepper to taste
paprika to garnish

Chop garbanzos in food processor; add rest of ingredients, including 1/2 of reserved liquid. Blend until smooth. Pour into serving bowl & sprinkle with paprika. Serve with triangles of soft pita bread OR crisp pita chips.

So do you have something from your table to share? I hope so. Link up here.

14 comments:

  1. I love hummus, too! Still working on my kids, though. I agree that garlic really does make hummus extra special. And I was intrigued when I saw Deb's recipe called for peeling the chickpeas. Glad to hear that it isn't really magical! Yours sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm another houmous fan, and I have to admit to pinning that recipe without noticing the peeling of the chickpeas, oh well, it won't kill me I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! I love hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a great deal on pita chips after Christmas, so I've been trying out hummus recipes. Think I'll try yours today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister loves hummus, I'm more of a once in awhile kind of girl with it. Maybe I need to try your recipe... Oh, and I agree that Deb's pic was the creamiest hummus I've ever seen. I didn't realize that's what it was at first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just ordered a new super-duper blender, so I'm going to try this! I'm a recent hummus convert, and I love garlic! So much so, vampires won't come within 20 miles of me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow I need to make this, I love hummus, all types. So good. I never think to buy garbanzo beans in a can...good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fabulous! I love hummus but have never tried to make it myself so thank you for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hummus is delicious but I have never tried to make it for myself. I would probably be anal enough to peel the chickpeas...probably just as well to have a recipe that doesn't ask me to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I told my husband abut the peeling too when i read the smitten kitchen post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hummus too! This peeling thing is new to me. Must try it : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. How I love hummus. I haven't tried Smitten's yet, but I will, and yours/Pam's!

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmmm. hummus. i haven't made any in ages! i really should give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I usually peel some of my chickpeas, then get fed up and dump the rest in the blender. I suggest you try a spicy version too--some cumin and a shake of cayenne pepper makes a nice variation.

    ReplyDelete