Monday, January 14, 2013

January Bee Blocks

My bee blocks were many and varied this month . . .

Always Bee Learning Bee - Toni asked for a Herringbone block using this tutorial from Holly at Bijou Lovely. I had never made this simple block, and it was straightforward and fun.
Herringbone block
With our scraps, we were asked to make an improv block. Mine measures 7 1/2".
Improv block 

FAITH Circle of do.Good Stitches - I was really pleased when I saw that RhubarbPatch wanted us to make Sparkle blocks! I had made a quilt with the Sparkle QA last year, and I knew it was one of those blocks that looks innocent enough, but makes for a pretty striking quilt. To make the centers scrappy with solid hsts made them extra fun.
Sparkle block

Sparkle block

Mid-Century Modern Bee - This is a new bee starting this month, so I am enjoying meeting some new quilters. I admit that when I saw lollyquiltz's request, "Juicy Fruit" Churn Dash blocks, I thought, "wow!" Using Carla's own tutorial, I thoroughly enjoyed making this block, and love how four small blocks made up the one 12 1/2" block. Really can't wait to see this quilt come together.
Juicy Fruit Churn Dash block 
New to me, this bee has decided to include 3 1/2' siggy blocks each month, using this tutorial
  3 1/2" Siggy block

Modern Blocks Bee - Ellebee'squilts asked for "Piece of the Garden" blocks from Modern Blocks. I had never pieced hexagons like this, and was a bit apprehensive, but it went together pretty well. If we were comfortable doing so, we were asked to make different sized blocks, so I did mine at 75% of the template.
Piece of the Garden block

That Stash Bee - This is also a brand new bee and Mama Love Quilts started us off with her own tutorial for "Birds in the Air" blocks. Of course, I loved working with these Caribbean colors. Do check out Nicole's blog and see the variety of layouts available with this block.
  "Birds in the Air" blocks
And, this bee is asking for siggy blocks also, this time 5" ones. I used this tutorial.
5" Siggy block
Whew. As much as I enjoy these bees, it always feels good to get the month's blocks done.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, so many bees that you're involved in! The blocks all look great. Those churn dash ones almost make my head spin at this late (for me!) hour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great blocks! I really love the herringbone and the churn dash (the fabrics in the churn dash are so luscious!) Bees - another thing to learn about . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your blocks are so beautiful Debbie - I really like that Herringbone block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO many great blocks! I'm beyond excited to get the herringbone blocks from everyone and I love your improv one! Did it take long to make the churn dash block? I really love it and am considering a quilt...And I love the name/idea of the Mid-Century Modern Bee! You had quite a full weekend of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! So much work in progress. Love the hexagon block. Very invetive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are all lovely, you are in good bees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of bees! That's so fun to be able to participate like that. I joined one and can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear ya! Must mail mine today. All yours are perfect ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how you keep up with so many bees, Debbie, but these are just plain gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive, Deb! Makes me want to get to work on my bee blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow your amount of bees jumped up a LOT! LOL Lots of beautiful blocks. I never understood what you are supposed to do with those siggy blocks? Do they go on the back?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun blocks for all of your Bees, Debbie. I sure love mine and am looking forward to putting all of those wild blocks together...thank you so much. I'm going now to look up that great herringbone block!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All gorgeous, but Blakey that is an awful lot of bee blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geez, that's a lot of bee blocks. I especially like the sparkle and you improv blocks

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Juicy Fruit churn dash blocks look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. im going to have a post like this next week. i am planning on finishing all of my current and yes, (shame) late bee blocks this weekend. i totally love the piece of the garden block!

    ReplyDelete