Saturday, January 5, 2013

Finish-A-Long Fourth Quarter Finishes 2012

The fourth quarter of Quilter in the Gap's 2012 Finish-A-Long is drawing to a close, and I'm cutting it just a bit close reporting in!

Christmas lap quilt - Now known as "Maisy", I had only the center nine blocks done when my list was posted. Basicly I strip pieced WOF strips cut between 1" and 3" wide, then cut them into rectangular blocks. There was no real plan in organizing the fabric other than separating all my strips into three stacks by value. I humbly confess I was so much more pleased with the end result than I expected to be. And it coordinates lovely with our Christmas tree skirt, just as I'd hoped.

Mod Pop - I joined Leanne/shecanquilt's QAL on a whim and was midway through piecing the curves when this quarter began. Confession here is I struggled with accuracy on the curves, even with all the helpful hints. So I kind of drug my feet getting this done, but was rewarded by the enjoyment in quilting it. I used two different threads, and quilted both echo-stitching with my walking foot (the light gray parts) and free-motion (the purple parts).

Binary -  The blocks for this quilt were made by the Modern Blocks Bee. I stalled on this one until last weekend when I came up with an uncomplicated layout. Lap size, it was pretty quick to quilt up. Adding the matched binding was a little something extra that seemed to finish it off just right.

Modern Crosses quilt - There's no good reason this one isn't done, except that I let it happen. I wish I hadn't, but that's that, and I'm trying to make it up as quickly as I can. It has an appointment with a longarm next week, so it's my goal to make that appointment.
I have 25 blocks done. The remaining 35 are on the ironing board in some form or another. This one will go right to the top of my First Quarter 2013 list.

So that's a wrap on the 2012 Finish-A-Long. A big thank you to Rhonda for hosting this fun and motivating event!

2012 Finish-A-Long

A review of my previous quarters' finishes can be found here, here, and here

14 comments:

  1. Those really are some great finishes, Debbie! And it looks like you are well on your way with Modern Crosses. It will be such a pretty quilt when it is all done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful finishes! I love everything about the binary one! The quilting is amazing. Did you do it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great finishes there. I love the purple of Mod Pop and your crosses will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you have been busy!!!
    Maisy looks just lovely!
    And your mod pop quilt is stunning - I hope you're thrilled with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Christmas "Maisy" quilt is wonderful. I went back to your original post on it and loved the way you photographed it too. Great job all around

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your finishes! And eek - deadline for Modern Crosses? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Maisy quilt! Isn't it nice when things come together better than imagined?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, Debbie! Those Modern Crosses are going to be so pretty too. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how the Christmas quilt turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They all look great!!!! Just ordered some fabric for the Maisy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a pretty good quarter with 3 whole quilt finishes :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Each one of your quilts are really lovely. I especially love the mod pop and your quilting on it. I love the colours in Maisy and it is fun to know that I had a small part in Binary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are just gorgeous, Debbie -- so impressive! Those crosses are coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love maisy. i want to make one.

    ReplyDelete