Friday, January 4, 2013

Binary

When Modern Blocks came out in 2011, I had it on pre-order, and immediately sat down with it when it came, poring over the pages and thinking of quilt possibilities. When I saw the new Modern Blocks Bee popping up on flickr shortly after, I jumped at the chance! And then for the next six months, I made blocks for my bee-mates. Finally, last July, it was my turn, and I chose Binary, a block designed by Angela Pingel. From my stash, I chose Kona Ash as the background, and a variety of Kona cools, which I randomly sent to my bee-mates.
 Here is the basic block.
So the blocks sat around a while, which is why they got put right on my fourth quarter Finish-A-Long list! I debated for quite a while what to do with the blocks, and in the end placed them in columns, separated by lengths of Kona Coal. Simple.
I was concerned maybe it all was too simple, so at some point I decided it needed that extra touch of matched binding.

The gray/black/white City Scenes print by Jane Dixon reminded me of binary code and made an ideal backing. All the quilting was done vertical, straight-line in the skinny sections, and a combo of straight-line and curvy in the wider strips. My Aurifil light and dark gray threads coordinated perfectly.
And then for the binding, I used the Ash and Coal, along with scraps I had of the cool colors. Binary measures 48" square, and is now all washed up and crinkly. And done.

Linking up with Finish It Up FridayFinish-A-Long Fourth Quarter Linky Party, and Fabric Tuesday.

39 comments:

  1. That is beatiful! I love its simplicity and the color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! And the binding looks fabulous! Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful Debbie - really love the colours and the matched binding is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is fantastic! It would make a great quilt for a teenage boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely, and the extra touch of matching binding. So patient you are ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the modern look, Debbie! The colors you chose are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your matched binding never fails to impress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really lovely! I'm learning to love modern more and more. This may be a silly question, but what do you do with a quilt that size? Is it more a wall quilt or lap quilt? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great! ugh, reminds me my bee blocks are sitting patiently to be made into a quilt... gee thanks.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is really wonderful. I love the quilting, it adds such a nice touch and the binding is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Colors are great too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great Debbie! I like that the colours were sent randomly - it makes the finished quilt really unique. Any plans for it? Gift maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful, wonderful finish! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool! I love the matched binding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful and not too simple! Those different greys are so good with bright colours! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is beautifully put together! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohmigosh, not only did you match colors in the binding, you tossed a little extra color in the binding! I love it! Fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So, so fabulous!
    I absolutely love how you quilted and bound this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So gorgeous! Matched binding genius and I love the colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! And the binding is what just sends it over the top! Great job, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It turned out great. That city scenes is a perfect choice and way to go with the matching binding, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! Simple, modern and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks so cool and very very modern!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cool, love the effect of the quilting :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can not get over the binding, absolutely perfect addition! What a stunning quilt and so crinkly and cuddly looking. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's lovely! I really love the darker gray you added!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this quilt! I will have to get that book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the colors and crinkly goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is lovely! Love your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great quilt. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great quilt. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your color choices! That bit of dark maroon was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  33. awesome! it is so beautiful. your color choices are perfect and the purple and maroon are awesome in it.

    ReplyDelete