Friday, December 7, 2012

Ruby Star Wrapping :: Simple Drawstring Bag

Well, I learned a few things yesterday. I was attempting to make one of this week's Ruby Star Wrap-Along projects, a drawstring bag gathered with elastic thread. I'm pretty sure I had used this thread before, but ages ago, and definitely not with my current machine. So I thought I was following instructions, but ended up with this - a cute bag that had very little scrunch at the top or any stretch for that matter.
Here I was, using one of my favorite Kaufman Sparkle All the Way reindeer prints, so I really wanted to figure things out. I consulted with Faith of Fresh Lemons, who made some darling bags as part of the wrap-along. She suggested I spritz the gathers and go at them with a hot iron and plenty of steam. I did, but even though that was a great suggestion and proved helpful later on in the process, it wasn't the root of my problem.

After posting my pitiful problem bag on Instagram last night, Jana_Nielson and Busybean came to my rescue. Between their suggestions and a little web searching, I figured out the solution to my issue. See below, my two test samples? The one on the left didn't gather at all, where the one on the right looks great.
It's this post by Simple Analogy that gave me the real clue: check out the second and third picture in her post, where it says 'WRONG' and 'RIGHT'. Seriously - hop on over and check it out while I wait. You need to know this. la la la la la . . .

Ok, see? My elastic thread in the bobbin was not catching in the tension guide!

So I manually pulled it up with the flywheel, but even then, it was a bit tricky. I found that if I held a little tight to both my upper and lower threads, it would catch - something I could easily see if it was right or wrong, once I knew what to look for. And it made all the difference!!
Just for the record, it still took the steam Faith suggested to make it gather, but gather it did. It's darling just as it is, but I though I'd also show you what a contrasting ribbon can do.
Whew! All that for one little bag, but now I know! And now another of these bags will come together in just a few short minutes!

10 comments:

  1. phew! That does sound like a lot of work. I've only ever sewn with elastic thread in my own machine, and have never encountered these issues! Way to follow through, and get to the bottom of the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got it sussed in the end, mine might have had a flying lesson ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attempted to use elastic thread like this a few years back on a sleeve for a blouse. I gave up, because it just wouldn't work. Now I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you for persevering! It looks pretty with the ribbon around it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good trick, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that my explanation helped! Your bag looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a super cute bag. thank you for sharing what didn't go right and how to correct it. that is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the link on this -- I'm tucking this one away for future use. Love that reindeer print! What line is that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling bag and good to know tips! I'm scared of doing that technique and have never tried it! Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete