Monday, December 31, 2012

A Backwards Glance

It's been enjoyable reading everyone's 2012 wrap-up posts, and these last few days, I've been thinking about my own. I know I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed recovering from the holidays and all, but I guess I'm also a bit in awe over all this last year has held. I started making mosaics - and needed several! I started a list of accomplishments, and it brought back such fond remembrances. 

So to start, I'll share that list - of what I consider kind of major happenings in this year of sewing and blogging . . .
  • 52 lists in 52 weeks - As the name suggests, this was a year-long project where I wrote a prompted list each week. This project concluded in June and was at once, self-reflective, mind-boggling, and fun.
  • Zakka - Oh Zakka! 24 weeks of projects, and crazy me, I did every one. Many have been gifted, a handful made in repetition. At any rate, this sew-along was one of the year's highlights.
  • *Picture-Perfect* Polaroid Swap - So who had no clue what she was getting into when she came up with this bright idea?! That would be me. There were 66(!) swappers, and 3293(!) blocks swapped. What absolutely delightful chaos this was! And yes, I still need to do something with all the blocks I received!
  • Weekender - Oh my. When I finished this bag, I felt a huge sense of accomplishment, and I still do.
  • Sewing Summit - On a whim, daughter dear and I decided to go to Sewing Summit this year, and it was a perfectly wonderful experience in so many ways. We learned, we sewed, we explored, but above all, we met so many talented and lovely people from our online quilting community.
  • Tutorials - I did five this year, and found even the simpler ones alot of work. But how gratifying to share a little something of yourself with others. I hope to do it again.
  • Stretching - There were several areas, all extremely satisfying   . . . experimenting more with free-motion quilting - an expert I'm not, but I'm not scared to try anymore; conquering frame purses - with both glue-in and sewn-on frames, and so not as difficult as they look; guest-hosting and features - so affirming; and in general, taking inspiration from what I've seen and making things my own . . . 
And back to those mosaics. There's massive bee blocks here and here, assorted bags, Zakka, Ruby Star Wrappings, and an assortment of other littles. And then . . . then there are the quilts, shown below. As I glance through them, it's hard to describe what I feel . . . a sense of achievement, of course. But also a recognition of growth, an outright fondness, and undeniably, a desire to make more.

18 comments:

  1. You have had an awesome year, indeed Debbie! I have so enjoyed reading yours posts and learning from you! Here's to a bigger and better 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved reading your blog this year, your makes are always so fantastic. Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've accomplished a TON! Looking forward to seeing all you do in 2013 - Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you've had a busy year. I enjoy reading your blog and look forward to evrything you do in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have had very creative year and I'm happy to follow your adventures to the new year! All the best and Happy New Year! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following your blog has been an endless source of inspiration Debbie. Looking forward to 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a great year with some awesome projects!! Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Thanks for linking up at Craft Buds, and cheers to your beautiful 2012 finishes. I wish we would have gotten to meet or chat a bit at Sewing Summit! Maybe next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a great year! It's good to see all the finishes together to remind you of that. And to reflect on the events that made the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year...looking forward to blogging with you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, I love seeing all the finished quilts! Congrats and here is to a wonderful New Year...with 500 more followers! HeHe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a successful year this has been for you, Debbie. Amazing!!! Love all your projects,thanks for being such a wonderful inspiration. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowsers! You are one prolific quilter! I am looking forward to following you in 2013 and the fun we will have as members of the MCM group! Happy New Year, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've had a fab year, hope your 2013 is a great :o) Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been looking at your mosaics on flickr. I love all those quilts, you have had just an amazing year! Thank you for all the inspiration your sewing and your blog give to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome year, Debbie! I look forward to seeing what's next for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you've had a busy year. I enjoy reading your blog and look forward to every thing you do in 2013!see more

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many gorgeous quilts - rally love the Maisy quilt!

    ReplyDelete