Saturday, September 15, 2012

Zakka Along Week 24 :: Nesting Boxes

It wasn't really easy facing this final project in the Zakka Style Sew Along, as I really didn't want it to be over.  But it needed to be done, so I got down to it. The project, by Patchwork Pottery, was highlighted by Kati of from the blue chair, who made her darling boxes of Christmas fabric. Nice idea, but I brought back some linen prints I'd used in a previous Zakka project, and once again used osnaburg as the 'main' fabric.
As usual, there was alot of chatter on flickr and other blogs about the construction method outlined in the book, but I just didn't have time to rethink that, so forged ahead as written. The only thing that truly confused me was the excess fabric used for the lining pieces. But I just trimmed after sewing each side section and continued on.
I did choose to use fusible interfacing, since that's my choice when it works, and it did fine for me here. I see why some folks chose a heavier interfacing to make the sides sturdier, but mine are totally functional, so I'm fine with them.
Really wanting to quilt through all layers was another reason I stuck with the book's method, doing a basic daisy chain on all the printed linen squares. I was a little wobbly at times, but I just kept going. And it's done.
I added an orange line of machine stitching wherever the book suggest hand-stitching, which honestly, was a lovely idea, but just wasn't going to happen for me this week.
The one part where I totally did not even look at the book was for the binding. Someone had suggested doing double-fold, which is my standard anyway, so I cut 2 1/4" strips and proceeded in normal binding fashion except, not my norm, I folded in, pressed, and stitched down by machine. It just seemed logical for this project.
The finishing construction of the boxes was tedious but it did work. Again, I understand why others opted for other methods, but in reality, this one was a viable option. And again, they're done. Sad but true.

Stay tuned for a Zakka wrap-up post, but meanwhile, linking up with LRstitchedlittle quilt monday, and {sew} Modern Monday.

25 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie! So beautiful fabric boxes! Your fabrics are wonderful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out great! I didn't realize you'd be making 3 sizes. I love the fabrics you used. Feeling better yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just perfect and love your daisy chain quilting on them. I really must find the time to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute, well done for getting all the way through the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are gorgeous! The colour choice is awesome! Congratulations on getting through the book! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your boxes are beautiful, Debbie. I feel like you, and keep putting off the "end" of the Zakka sew-along. It's coming down to the wire, though, so I really do need to start! It's been so fun to see what you have done with each of the projects. -Cary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your nesting boxes are brilliant! You have done a wonderful job of completing all projects with skill and ease!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Debbie!! I read through the instructions and it sounds like there is a raw edge on the outside of the boxes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, these are so lovely!! This week has just gotten away from me with visiting family, pattern testing, and appointments, and I'm afraid I won't be finishing this one in time to link up, but I definitely want to try it in the weeks ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really lovely and the colours you have used are so pretty. What are you going to do now the Zakka SAL is over??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no Please don't tell me that this is it! I have so loved seeing everyones creations. I looked at these to make as a gift and then it seemed far too hard so I went back to a pin cushion....I'll have a look at the zakka flickr group though. I would say there will be some great moasics out there of all the lovely things that were made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your nesting boxes are beautiful Debbie. I love your fabric choices and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Debbie,

    First of all, I love your boxes, they came out beautifully!

    I went to the Flickr group looking for corrections on this project but wasn't able to locate it. I wish they would have split corrections into individual threads so it was easier to find. If you have any other tips or pointers, I'd be greatful!

    Cheers,

    Tabatha
    bendingpins.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. So so gorgeous! I love the photos of them posed in various ways, and your binding is perfect! {I just used straight binding, not biased...how about you?}

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are super, I bet they will be really useful too! I'm going to miss seeing all the zakka makes here. What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your boxes turned out great! And now I know how to have finished it: hand sewing to the bottom.
    I will be making more of the boxes. Love the result!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely darling nesting boxes. I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your nesting cups are beautiful. This is the only pattern I ever made from the book and it is so useful. Love your take on them and your fabrics.... as usual.... Of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are great! I love your fabric choices and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't believe that the Zakka projects are finished. Your boxes look great....I do like linen and I also use osnaburg often : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your boxes are great, Debbie! You put in the fun in functional. I can't believe there have been 24 projects!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those boxes are great! I love the fabric that you used!

    ReplyDelete