Sunday, September 16, 2012

Revisiting x and +

Back in March I participated in the For the Love of Solids Swap2 and made a large solid x and + quilt for my partner. You can check the reveal post here. Too long ago, I was asked if I'd share the dimensions of the quilt, and I totally meant to, but my note on the project got buried. So better late than never {I hope!} here's a recap of that project!

First off, this was my rough plan - 5 x and + blocks as the center of a larger x and + block, done all in solids.
Using the block tutorial by badskirt, I just scaled things down a bit for the center blocks, so for each, I cut:

For center cross
2 - 1 1/2" squares
1 - 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangle

For center edges
4 - 1 1/2" squares

For triangle bits
8 - 1 1/2" squares

For corners
4 - 2 1/2" squares

Each of the center scrappy blocks finished at 5" square.

Then for the larger block/quilt:

For center edges
4 - 5 1/2" squares

For triangle bits
8 - 5 1/2" squares

For corners
4 - 10 1/2" squares

The scrappy solid quilt finished at 25" square, and was bound with matched binding (a tutorial for straight-seam matched binding can be found here). 
I must say I still really love that x and + block!

If you do happen to make something inspired by this project, please feel free to add it to my flickr group, Quilting with A Quilter's Table.

26 comments:

  1. Wow,that is seriously beautiful.
    Absolutely fantastic.
    Off to Flikr favourite this immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!!! And such great quilting too.
    Congratulations on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh... that is SO PRETTY! I love quilts that are made from solids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really effective way to use them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the details, Debbie! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the details. Both quilts are wonderful but I love the overall look of the solids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your measurements. That quilt is rockin!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a stunning quilt Debbie! And did you see that there has been a bit of discussion about another FLOS swap?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful and I love the concept of the quilt within a quilt. Thanks for revisiting it - late is always better than never. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is such a fun and interesting layout, Debbie. I love the way it all turned out, so very unique, very, very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cool! Thanks for sharing the how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving the look of this. Another one of those things that are on my bucket list...the X and + quilt. Love how you have taken your own spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this interpretation!! It's fabulous, and the quilting really adds to it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness Debbie. How did I miss all the new posts? I think I check every day ; ) this x and + is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing these details, it is so nice to see that lovely quilt again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Completely awesome, Debbie! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for the lesson. This block is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How do I post a picture of a 90" x 103" x and + quilt inspired by you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam. Unfortunately your email isn't connected to your profile so I can't reply directly, so I hope you see this. But Instagram would be ideal. And if you tagged me, @aquilterstable, then I'll see it! Hope that works, as I'd love to see it. You could also email me, aquilterstable@gmail.com.

      Delete
  19. Did you receive the pictures I sent to your email of the 90" x 103" quilt I made after seeing your beautiful x and + quilt?

    Yours was 40" x 40" so I had no pattern to use for the over sized quilt. I'm a beginner and couldn't figure out how to do the x sections so I had to wing it.

    Thanks to your pattern I was able to simply double the size of the 5 center blocks. I was limited on lilac fabric as I used a sheet so I couldn't 'waste' by following your directions. Also, I made the top half shorter than the bottom half so the cross would be visible with the top 'turned down' (see photos I sent to your email). I'm sorry I can't attach them here.

    With my solids being so huge I knew the quilting would be critical. I didn't want it to be ugly plus my husband was fussing at all the time I spent working on it. I decided to get help.

    The beautiful paisley feathered areas were done by a professional. I used a walking foot and only quilted the + sections. I used a stencil for the green area and stitched-in-the ditch on the center cross.

    I had to make the colors in the x area wider to keep from having too much light lilac. It disrupted your design and kept me from being able to quilt with the pretty pattern you used. I loved your continuous pattern. I was very disappointed I couldn't do it because I loved the quilting as much,if not more,than the x and + part. LOL. I could have quilted it all myself on my machine if I could have followed your quilting pattern. Yours was just stunning.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I received them and was so pleased to see your beautiful quilt. I just emailed you...sorry for the delay!

      Delete
  20. My email is cundiffpam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete