Sunday, September 2, 2012

Improv Achieved

There is so much I want to try as far as improv is concerned, but that doesn't make me any less pleased that I finished this little quilt. The process was together an experience, and an achievement.

The front began with the improvisational log cabin block I made in class in July (upper right). I made three more blocks, simpler in design but coordinating somewhat, and pieced them together with some Essex linen in Putty. I loved this earthy color and texture with the orange and pink blocks.
For the back, I pieced together the rest of my sample technique blocks from class, using the new Kona Mushroon in my stash. You can see how it goes with the Kona Coal in the blocks on the right. (Personally, I like it.)

I used a previously untried stitch on my machine for the quilting - a somewhat ziggedy-zag, which I felt added alot of interest to the random shapes and angles of the improv blocks.
For binding, I used up several of the block scraps, which I'd really become quite fond of, and balanced them off with some Lizzy House Jewels in Pumpkin.
All in all this was a very fun foray into improv, and I really look forward to the next adventure!

Linking with Little Quilt Monday and Fabric Tuesday! Also linking up with at the end of my hallway.

23 comments:

  1. Nicely done, and inspiring for me, someone to whom improv does not come natural. It can be learned! So are you going to hang it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really beautiful, debbie! i love both sides:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both sides of the quilt and your "ziggedy-zag"-quilting is just amazing, reminds me a bit of DSQ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the zigzag quilting and the binding- very random and improv!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking fabulous...if you're at all like me, you might find improv work very addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely lovely! Wonderful! Improv is so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started a baby quilt with improv blocks. I like all the open space in yours. Beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! I love both sides and the scrappy binding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your little improv quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice. The gray really makes the other colors pop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You probably think I love everything I see but I don't then I just don't leave a comment. I LOVE this - it's very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt looks great! The improv style seems to be the way to go. The quilting is very effective against the background fabric. I'll have to get round to trying it out one day =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to see that quilting up close! I agree with you, mushroom is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them both, Debbie! It must have been so much fun with this result! I don't really think the quilt has a back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! I think you may find that you have many more improv quilts to make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is such a fun quilt, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how much the quilting adds texture. The improv part I get and thrive on but the quilting I need to get more brave and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yeah! Love to see finished projects. You did a fabulous job with the minimalist blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely improv! i love the simple little blocks that you added and the scrappy star in the back is so sweet! You wavy quiting lines really fill up the negative space nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seeing your projects makes me want to start a new improv project. I haven't done one in a while. Such great work!!

    ReplyDelete