With my Quilting Modern book open to the "mod TV quilt" for inspiration, I began by taping a grid on the wall in my sewing room. One by one, I hung up the improvisational log cabin blocks I'd made (the smaller three since class), standing back after each to gauge how I liked it. Finally deciding on a basic arrangement I liked, I started piecing them together with Essex linen in Putty.
now neatly sorted and labeled), and chose a new Kona solid, "mushroom". I chose it for three reasons - one, it almost perfectly matched the linen on the front; two, I wanted to see how it played with the Coal in my blocks; and three, because it was a color I hadn't used before. Seriously, this will be a new staple for me. I really like it.
So, this quilt is a tad unusual, but serves as a souvenir scrapbook of sorts of improv techniques I've tried and want to keep playing with. (Thanks for the idea, daughter dear!)