Thursday, May 31, 2012

Zakka Along Week 8 :: Zakka Block Quilt

Last week's Zakka project was a simple patchwork quilt designed by Leslie Good. At first, I debated whether I even wanted to do it. It fell during a particularly busy week, and my sewing machine was in the shop for its annual exam. But I'd made it through week 7 without fail, so really it was the pressure of continuing what I'd started that motivated me on.

After reading the post by i like orange, I got busy choosing fabrics from my stash. I really wanted to pair my  Melody Miller viewfinders with the linen-colored Essex linen I had chosen for the quilt, but I didn't quite have enough. So I rummaged through my solids and chose Kona cerise, zucchini, and raisin, plus some Free Spirit Designer Solids in light jade to mix in.
Because I was working on my back-up machine, I didn't want the quilt too large to quilt on it, so I cut my blocks 5" rather than 6 per the pattern.
The linen just said organic straight-line to me, which was probably the easiest to accomplish with my older machine, plus I just plain enjoy it. I confess to being a tad ho-hum about the quilt top, but once I started quilting, it just came to life. Where it all felt a little slippy-slidey as a quilt top, it quilted like a dream. And oh what awesome texture the quilting gave that linen!
Not sure what it is, but I love the look of criss-crossing straight-line!
I chose more of the Kona Raisin as the binding, which looks black in many photos, but is really a very dark - and wonderful - purple.
When I went to my stash to find a backing for the quilt, I realized I don't really have many pieces over 1 yard in length. I finally settled on this triangle print by Brandon Mably which, with a stripe of Kona lupine, was large enough and fit with the flavor of the quilt. Final measurements of the quilt are 34.5" x 49.5".
In the end, I am quite smitten with this little Zakka quilt, enjoyed using linen and of course incorporating the viewfinders. Definitely some good Zakka style.

30 comments:

  1. The colour palette is amazing!! And you are so right about the texture achieved with the linen and quilting! A triumph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Ah, so the binding is dark purple. Very pretty all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous solids! Sometimes simplicity can be so beautiful, when done this well :) Awesome finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am blown away by the difference before and after quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I have my zakka quilt all ready for quilting and just couldn't decide how to quilt it - I think I may know now ;-) Thanks for the inspiration! This turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The solids you used are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mix of solids with the print!! Fabulous :) Your quilt is just so fun. And I love the purple backing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's Beautiful Debbie! I had my Kona colour card out yesterday trying to decide the best match for the viewfinders and then ordered some of the cerise :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! I love the color palette. And seeing yours really makes me want to rip out the quilting on mine and start again...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your choices are right on target. Love the way it all came together. The backing and binding are perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love it Debbie. Looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um this is a fabulous quilt!!! heart it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am learning to like solids. I think you just pushed me into the "really like" solids category. What a great way to take a print you love and marry it with solids. Whoohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it, Debbie! I too was surprised at how much I loved quilting with linen. I will definitely be trying that again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing quilt! So great to see that you paired up other fabrics with it too as you were out of what you needed. It's great to see all the different versions of the same pattern =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fun wee quilt, and love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love viewfinder, this quilt really makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks great! The true test of a quilting geek is when we have back up sewing machines!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the criss-cross quilting - and the viewfinders were just right for this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's gorgeous! Linen is so lovely to quilt with - I've only made a mini with linen, but I really want to make more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the view finder fabric : ) I also like the backing fabric....well done, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Debbie, it's awesome! I love the single print, and the linen that you chose looks great with the solids. Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was one of my favorite projects from the book. I definitely want to make one now after seeing yours. You rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is beautiful. i love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the colors! The style is so simple and beautiful!
    Amy
    Sew Incredibly Crazy

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is so pretty! I love the mix of prints and solids on the neutral background!

    ReplyDelete
  28. this looks fabulous! i haven't finished mine yet, but i was planning to quilt it similarly. i'm using a yellow linen, and i'm glad to see that it'll look yummy once i'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the colors you chose, beautiful quilt. It really stood out in the linky party a Canoe Ridge.

    ReplyDelete