Friday, May 18, 2012

Zakka Along Week 7 :: Rain Cloud Mug Rug

Well, we're moving right along in the Zakka Style Sew Along. This week, John of Quilt Dad shared his version of the project, which was created by pigeon-pair. Rather than use linen, I reached for some sky blue Kona Crush from my stash. I had used Crush once, and have a special fondness for it, so was happy to find a perfect, though small, excuse to use it again.

John pretty much gave me permission to forgo the hand-applique suggested and use double-sided fusible web on the cloud. I'm not sure why, but I haven't really been in the mood for hand-stitching, so every time it's been called for in a project, I've switched it up by going to my machine. Now the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle, but there's a myriad of other weather. So I made the little cloud gray, blanket-stitched it on, and then it was time for the wind and the rain.

I've been enjoying trying different and new threads. And this is where the fun came in, as I switched between a variety of gray threads. I used my machine's 'hand-like quilting' stitch for the rain, and basic free-motion for the wind. And as a final touch, added a pieced binding to reflect the diversity of weather here in the Pacific Northwest.

Linking up with LRStitched.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your mug rug! And the binding is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, I especially like the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, love the Seattle rain cloud! Every time we visited that side of the state, it was sunny. It got to the point where it was a family joke - seriously, we always managed to get the 5-10 sunny days each year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is beyond great! The "rain" is perfect and I love the different threads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cloud! Lovely thread use for rain, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome, especially that pieced binding, and I love the thought process you shared. {I was SUCH a fan of Bobby Sherman...the bluest skies you've ever seen, and the bluest EYES! I was about 12...seriously!}

    ReplyDelete
  7. CUTE! We have the same weather here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That kind of reflects our current weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kona Crush? I need to get some! This turned out great, love all the stitching and the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your version! The colour works perfectly with the rain theme =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really lovely, Deb! The different threads really shine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so cute! Lovely quilting too

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely adorable! I have zero experience with using different threads - heck all I use are Aurifil White, Grey and Black. Your post inspires me to reach outside my box. The quilting inside and reaching out to both sides of the cloud are, for lack of better description, perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful colours and I love the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE your version once again, Debbie!
    The border fits to it so well!
    Wow, and some lovely FQM!

    ReplyDelete