Thursday, May 10, 2012

Zakka Along Week 6 :: Itty Bitty Quilt Block Magnets

I probably shouldn't admit this publicly, but I kind of enjoyed making these itty bitty blocks The pattern is by a cuppa and a catchup, and her magnets are super special, aren't they? They kinda beg to be made.
itty bitty quilt block magnets

I started off with encouragement from both little bluebell and The Patchsmith. Using scraps from Pinky-Swoon, I had a bit of a head start, especially for the hst. I had a few already made up, so it was easy to trim them down to size. I really didn't find the cutting and piecing too terribly difficult.

Impatient, I machine quilted them with Aurifil hot pink MAKO 40wt, which went like a breeze. Things were still going smoothly as I backed the little ones, and then came the moderately difficult step of turning them. Slightly trying but doable. Still trying but doable was getting the magnet squares in (I had to trim mine slightly smaller than instructed). But then came the most difficult task of all - hand-stitching the openings shut. yikes. That part was the least fun, but obviously mandatory, so I suffered through. And am glad I did.

Linking up with LRstitched and T.N.T. Thursday.

21 comments:

  1. Great magnets! And good for you for persevering!! Think how much easier the next batch will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look perfect! If I hadn't already made mine, I would start right now, having seen these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first line begged the question, Why should you not admit publicly that you enjoyed making the magnets?
    They look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute :o) I'm skipping this one, as I just don't need magnets for anything right now, but should a need occur, I'll dive right in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute. I wish I kept better track of my extra HST from previous projects - I know they are around here somewhere... Can't wait to get going on this project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO cute! But I don't think I could handle how fiddly these seem to be to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those little guys are so adorable!!! I think I am totally going to have to add them to my list of things to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute! I know how hard it is to turn such little pieces and hand stitching is my *least* favorite thing, but yours came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you made 6 of them! They are super cute. Did you stick one on your fridge yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look gorgeous! Tomorrow I have to back and turn all 12 of my geese, it's not something I am looking forward too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too cute! Those little things would not be happenin' over here. I can't do tiny. It stresses me out.
    I am sure glad other people can do tiny cause they are sure fun to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are really cute and so practical!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning little gems. Nice work. I thought I wouldn't make them again because they are quite fiddly but I find myself drawn to them and can see me making another batch. Plus, friends keep taking them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cute Debbie - love the pink stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  16. these are so cute debbie! i love them! it has been so fun watching you sew along with this.

    ReplyDelete