Monday, May 7, 2012

{maybe}

It's about time to pack up my swap project for the DS Quilts Doll Quilt Swap2. Things didn't start off well, as I was paired with a secret partner who loves pink. Now I confess to having a tall stack of DS fabrics, but very little pink!
Thankfully, Kirsten of gemini stitches was happy to swap DS fabrics, and before long I had plenty of pinkaliciousness for the scrappy project I was planning. (that was for you, Nicke!)

Apparently my Swoon phase had waned, but clearly wasn't over, because as you can plainly see, I made another.
Or as I like to think of her, "Pinky-Swoon".

Basically, I used Camille Roskelley's design, but snuck in even more squares and hsts, to make it scrappier yet. Kona Medium Gray served as the background, with Pinky-Swoon measuring in at 17" square. (I also down-sized the squares to 2" finished.)

Usually, the back of any project is a bit of a struggle, where I find myself asking, "Should I go easy and ho-hum, or harder (ie. longer) and more interesting?" In this case, it was an easy decision to go interesting. I mean, really, most of those pinks had traveled all the way from Australia to be a part of this project, so I might as well put them to good use. I admit, I really had fun with it.
When it came time to quilt, I was influenced by the criss-crossing straight-line I've done on recent projects {spiraled and the improv runner}. Adding to the feminine mood of the pink, I added some wavy quilting lines here and there. And to add even more interest (to me anyway), though quilted mostly with gray thread, I arbitrarily switched it out for pink. So when I mentioned wacko quilting and thread decisions last week, that's what I was referring to.
So now she's finished and it's time to say good-bye and safe travels. She's pretty much leaving me with a hankering to swoon again.

Linking up with little quilt monday{sew} Modern Monday, Fabric Tuesday, Made By ME, and sew & tell friday.

34 comments:

  1. Great quilt Debbie! And the pretty pink cherry blossom really offsets the mini so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! I'm going to have to try that pattern. I have some beuatiful grays and yellows that would look great! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the name and it looks great hanging in the pink tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing quilting, Debbie! Are those wavy lines you've added in? Love the effect!
    And I love the back, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very beautiful and very pink! I love how you quilted it too. I am sure it will make your partner smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Brilliant! So much work packed into that 17" square.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinks my fav!!! Love love love this!! And the quitting is just wonderful- just figured to how i will quilt the teacher quilt I'm working on :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful pink Swoon doll quilt! I haven't Swooned yet, but all your cuties are making me think I should : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think i'll ever tire of seeing a swoon - its gorgeous debbie, and i love the scrappy pink - i must try a scrappy swoon! great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so fun, Deb! Lucky partner! I love the way you quilted it. I think a mini quilt is the perfect place to add these fun details!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! I'm swooning over the back of the quilt too!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so beautiful Debbie. Perfect against those cherry blossoms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fabrics are beautiful and the back is as magnificent as the front. Great colors, I'm sure your swap partner will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely darling, Debbie! I love the way you made it so scrappy...perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a big fan of pink! And I'm loving this little mini! The pink works so well with the grey background.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Most definitely pretty in pink! The blossom is beautiful too. I`m sure your partner will love it. What`s not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I'm not usually a pink girl, but I really like them in this

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful Debbie - love the log cabin on the back. You made such a great use of those pinks:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie,
    I have to say you are just so inspiring!!! All your stuff just really rocks. I love this mini and the quilting is super cool. I would be so excited to receive this. And I love the pink blooms in the back of the photo. Nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very, very cool! From the pink to the scrappiness to the quilting, this little quilt rocks! : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm not a pink lover but i adore this mini. you tamed the sweetness of the pink with the burgundy and all of that gray. absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful cherry blossoms and beautiful Swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I adore the pinky swoon!! Pink will always be my favourite colour, even though I am partial to orange at the moment, pink is classic!! It's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your swoon totally rocks, as does the wacko thread :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not a pink fan, but Pinky Swoon is perfect! Lucky partner. Another great composition with the pink tree flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loving this color combination and your quilting is fabulous. Every swoon block I've seen makes me want to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very pretty - I actually am a pink fan (maybe because I have 3 girls?!?) - and I really like the pink paired with the gray.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovin' everything about this quilt (and the photos)!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous! Love your scrappy swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pink can be so .... PINK and I think you've done a great job softening it with the grey.
    A beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This turned out beautiful, and the quilting just made it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm not a big fan of pink either but somehow I have a big collection of it in my stash?

    I adore this scrappy version. I've seen a few people on IG lately posting their scrappy large (huge) swoon quilts and I so want to give one a go... maybe in 2014 (have a big list of projects to finish first!).

    ReplyDelete