Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fresh Sewing Day

Fresh Sewing Day is here, but seriously, how can it be MAY? As hard as it is to believe (read: spring has barely started in the northwest), April was a great sewing month. The Zakka Sew Along has been such an unexpected pleasure. I especially enjoyed the projects where I veered off in my own direction - the House Pouch with its patchwork roof, and the Sewing Kit where I tried some fun variegated thread.

I really think two projects tied for my favs this month. The first was the Improv Runner that I seriously thought was a fail mid-stream. I was pretty sure I'd made a huge mistake in my fabric choices, and nearly started over. But I forged ahead, finished the top, and it was when I began quilting that the runner began to come to life. Dense organic straight-line pulled everything together, especially when I thought to cross-hatch some sections. In the end, it wasn't easy to send off to the recipient.
Windows Improv table runner on a roll

And second was Spiraled, which I created out of discarded hst, truly not knowing what I was doing next until a next step was needed. After the first large spiral, I knew I needed more. And after loving the result of Terrain on white with Pearl gray sashing on my Sparkle quilt last winter, I decided to repeat the effect. On a whim, I took the spirals into the border and on out to the binding. Wicked fun.

Linking up with Fresh Sewing Day.

12 comments:

  1. great projects as always debbie, i love that spiraled, i'm definitely going to have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that spiraled quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your makes for the month, and especially that variegated thread use tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great month! I think my favourite is the runner as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This month went so fast but you made a lot of gorgeous things!! I absolutely adore Spiraled! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great month you had! I love that table runner :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie, I just love that table runner...it really is so beautifully put together. I can't resist that Outfoxed bag too -- I love Lizzy House prints!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous projects, Debbie!!! Love your HST quilt, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The spiraled quilt is awesome! Lovely makes Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great month you had! Spiraled is stunning... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous projects Debbie - especially love your Spiraled quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great month with lots of beautiful projects! I LOVE Spiraled!

    ReplyDelete