Monday, February 6, 2012

Random

Welcome to a new week! In spite of good progress, I've no new finishes to show, so I thought I'd share some randomness.

I recently read an interesting article about sewing trends on Sew, Mama, Sew - see here. It's always a bit amusing to realize you're part of one - or more!

I've also seen some good info about ways to hang our quilts. I'll be considering these methods for hanging sleeves: here and here; and this one for sewn-in corners. Any thoughts?

And, there's a fun event over at Ellison Lane Quilts, starting today - a modern mini quilt challenge.
Modern Mini Challenge
This challenge has an interesting schedule - a couple of weeks of blog-hopping with inspiration and tutorials and such, another couple of weeks of sewing time, and then the link-up. See the complete schedule here. Let's say I'll see how things go, but I really enjoy making minis, so I would like to join in the challenge. Anyone with me?

I had several questions following my Something's Fishy post regarding flicker-explorer. I did learn that photos chosen by explorer are sometimes dropped, picked back up, etc. Even with that info, it's kind of curious why your number would fluctuate between applications at a given point in time, but I guess my conclusion is - it can happen. When you use "Scout" at bighugelabs.com to make a 'poster' of your explored pictures, there is an option to 'include dropped'. In doing so, I was able to see all my photos {here}. And for those of you interested in the flickr widget on your blog, you can easily create it using 'Profile Widget.'

In writing this post, I discovered my in-progress project for the For the Love of Solids was selected.
I've really been having fun with this one, and am soliciting opinions on using variegated thread. Here's a little swatch of a test run. (Thread is King Tut "Joseph's Coat.")
a test run . . .

Well, enough randomness for today! Have a great one!

8 comments:

  1. The mini challenge - I'm not sure. I love the thought of participating, but I feel like i've made enough minis that I end up not knowing what to do with. Maybe I should make one, then do a giveaway! hmmmmm

    The variegated thread looks really neat! It shows up so much more than I thought it would. Are you liking it? Do you think it might be "too much" for this project that is already so colourful? (hope you don't mind my honest wonderings...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to have more mini quilt ideas so I will do one for the challenge for sure, I hope you will too. I love your pictures, and they certainly deserve to be explored, and the one here is no exception. Oh, and I love the colourful thread for that project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea for hanging quilts! I hate sewing hanging sleeves, but corners I can manage. I have an idea for a mini-quilt, but it's not modern, so I don't know... Love the variegated thread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, la, la! I love that For the Love of Solids quilt. I'm not a big fan of variegated thread - to be fair, I've never tried it. But either way, you can't go wrong. The solids in the quilt will get more attention than the thread.
    And yes, I'm thinking of throwing my hat in on the mini challenge. I'm with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, I love the solid X and + block. Hurray for you on being selected!! I don't know how I feel about the thread, are you going back in forth between this one and another? Are you planning on quilting straight lines on the quilt? I'm pretty excited about the mini quilt challenge and I'm in. So fun!! I hope your having a lovely start to your week girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that varigated thread! it looks so awesome on those colors. i am looking forward to making a mini for the challenge. i want to challenge myself. that is the name of the game right! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the variegated thread! It looks great. You constantly amaze me with your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the "for the love of solids"!! It will look great no matter how it's quilted.

    ReplyDelete