Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Journey in Time

Susan of The History Quilter posted today {here} about her most recent podcast, where she talks about signature quilts. I plan on listening to her podcast this weekend, but I also wanted to show you and Susan the signature quilt that I happen to have!

Though obviously this quilt has been in our family for a long time, I didn't know about it until a few years ago when I visited my cousin in southern California, and she was showing me around her home. She ushered me into the guest bedroom and said - "Do you remember this quilt? It was grandma and granddaddy's." Honestly, I had never seen it and had never heard about it.

Then one day a few months later, unexpectedly the quilt arrived at my house!
Every Churn Dash block is embroidered with the names of families, including my grandparents, dad, and uncles.
In the center block is embroidered "Escondido Free Methodist Church." Considering my granddad was a pastor for many many years, I assume this quilt was a gift from his congregation in Escondido CA.
Susan's post, and bringing the quilt out to show has prompted me to write an email to the church and see if by any chance they have any history on the quilt. Alot to hope for, but worth a shot.

Backed in a big floral print framed by a solid green border, it has a fold-from-the-back binding, and is obviously hand quilted. The piecing appears to have been done by machine. The quilt shows some wear, especially along the edges, but overall is in very good condition.
So there you have another fine example of a signature quilt. I'll be sure and report if I hear any more about its history.

12 comments:

  1. That is so cool, I hope you are able to learn more. And you have a very nice cousin to send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt! I hope you can find out more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool!! What a neat thing to have.

    I notice it is quilted in the baptist fan pattern, something I'd like to try some day, but it looks like a LOT of starts and stops in the quilting process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, lucky you. This quilt is fantastic and I love that it comes with its own story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an awesome thing to have in the family. My grandmother dug into a chest a few visits back and showed me some quilts made by her aunts, mother and grandmother. For 25 years I'd never thought to open that chest and dig around in it, I never knew I came from quilters! This one is very beautiful, I love the history you have found in it. Good luck getting info from the church!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this story, Debbie! It reminds me that quilts have a history and can tell so much about the maker and the recipient. It also reminds me that I really should be labeling my quilts so that years from now when I'm no longer around, there will still be a label to tell some of the quilt's story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a treasure! i hope that the quilts i make are heirlooms for my family someday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a lovely thing to have as a heirloom! It would be so nice to have the full history of it, so i hope that you find out from the church :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Humbled - my podcast episode inspired a blogpost. :) This is a wonderful quilt - I love the block and the overall quilt is very pleasing. The quilter did a very nice job. How wonderful of your cousin to not only show you the quilt while you visited but then send it to you. Crossing my fingers that you receive some information about the quilt from the church in Escondido. Yea for quilt history! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing, Debbie! This is a great piece of family history to have.

    ReplyDelete