Saturday, February 25, 2012

Charms and Other Charming Things

I waited until after the mail came today to write this post, hoping against hope that my mini quilt from the Little Quilt - Sew, Vote, Swap Group would arrive. Alas, it did not. But I do have a stack of charms from the 4x5 modern Quilt Bee fabric swap to show you.
It's hard to even describe what a fun array of fabrics these are - all colors commonly used in the modern block swap. I plan on putting them to use right away in this round's bee blocks.

Anyway, on to the photos I promised you this morning . . . I'm not one to yell from the rooftops, "It's my birthday!" But that doesn't mean yesterday wasn't. And I went to sleep last night feeling very pampered. An afternoon of shopping with my mom, a homey meal with our family, and a skype exchange with my son left me feeling quite content. There were lovely gifts, too, of course, but I'm pretty sure you are most interested in those of the quilty variety, yes?

First was a jaw-dropping beautiful "Cinch It Tote Bag" made by my friend Sharon. I was so shocked when I saw it, as I had pinned this pattern to my Pinterest board just this week! And to top it off, it was made in some of my favorite fabrics! (Remember this?) Awesome.
There was also a coordinating zip pouch inside. More awesomeness.
Side note - Sharon's been accepted into the do.Good Stitches charity bee, and is waiting to be placed in a circle. I'm secretly hoping she's placed with one of you! That would be so fun to have that connection!

Needless to say, I was pleased when my daughter walked into the house last night with a fabric gift bag. It's not that I hadn't received one before - she's been making them for a while now (see herehere, and here). But this one was different. Adapted from Pink Penguin's Reversible Patchwork Bag tutorial, it had a fun green chevron star on the side from thought & found. Darling.
And of course, there was something very cool inside - a St. Patrick's Day mini quilt!
I love that it has some blue in it, as dictated by the darling focus fabric.
Oh, and did I mention it was hand-quilted? Yup, that's my girl!

All in all a fine day indeed.

18 comments:

  1. So glad you were well-celebrated! I love my birthday so it makes me happy to hear of others enjoying theirs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Another February birthday- there are a few of us bloggers around! Your tote bag is beautiful! I have a similar fabric in pink, yellow and grey! its very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, happy birthday, Debbie! What amazingly gorgeous gifts you got. So wonderful!!!! I just finished making my husband a pillow, his 40th birthday is on Monday. I'll see what he says, he's not much a guy for handmade stuff, but I just felt like making him at least something small and buying the rest. Fingers crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Debbie! Such nice goodies you got. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well happy happy birthday deb! what awesome gifts. i love that your daughter is a sewer. i hope to sew with my daughter when she is old enough. nothing would make me happier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like it was a good one, filled with lots of handcrafted goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! I am glad you had a lovely day andhose are such lovely presents. Your daughter is a talented quilter. And I can't wait to get my set of those charms too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! The gifts you´ve got are gorgeous and such a beautiful quilt from your daughter, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lovely day, belated happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Sweet Lady!!! You're one for secrets :) So glad that you had a marvelous day and that it made you smile :)!! What a bunch of lovely and dearly handmade gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had such a nice birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday!! Sounds like a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated birthday! What wonderful surprises, nice to celebrate you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! What a great mini that your daughter made for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday Debbie!! Love your St Paddys day mini quilt - the clover fabric with the blue is just lovely, as is your daughters handstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you had such a great birthday. Love the quilt Rachel made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved Rachel's gift quilt---and the bag. Totally cute! Inspires me to cut up some fabric and get to my machine. Well--maybe I need to plan a project, go choose and purchase some fabric..and do it. Maybe soon?!? I'm such a procrastinator.
    Is your mantra---just do it? You always seem to get so much done! Blesssings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated birthday! You received some beautiful items. I especially love the Cinch It bag.

    ReplyDelete