Friday, January 20, 2012

Random Yet Again

It only seems fair to report back on the starching and folding/rolling topics from last week:

Starching: Yes-7, No-6. Those that do it swear by it. I may just have to give it a try . . . in fact I bought a can today.
Folding vs. rolling: Folding-6, Rolling-2, and Flat-1. So I'm with the majority here.
Thanks to all of you who shared in the comments!

In other randomness . . .
Do you know about Bing Translator? Every once in a while I get a comment that isn't already translated. I got one earlier this week, and went straight to www.microsofttranslator.com, copied in the comment, and voila! Instant translation. I had a clue, but I didn't even need to know what language Elena's comment was in.

There were a couple of posts by Rachel over at Stitched in Color this week that I found especially interesting - one on the history of those scrappy x and + blocks some of us are obsessed with, and one on  how to hang a mini quilt. I think I'll be trying her casing method next time around.

I got my first block in the Solstice Stars Series done, and am really glad I decided to dig into my DS stash for these. Very fun.

And speaking of fun - my mom was "snowed in" with us this week, and what a treat it was to have her doing all the pressing as I stitched away on a variety of projects. A long-time encourager, I think she enjoyed being a part of the quilty action. And I can thank her for helping me settle on fabric choices for the Sparkle QAL.
So getting that cut out is one of my goals for Friday Night Sew-In. Later!

10 comments:

Katie B. said...

Ooh, I'd love to have my mom here for pressing help! Love your Sparkle picks.

Gladys said...

Moms help their family in any way possible. It is one way of being a part of Debbie's passion. Never know how I might be given a "thank you" of a quilted piece.

Katy Cameron said...

Aww, man, I'd love my mum to be pressing sewy things for me too! Love that block :o)

Jessica said...

Love the Solstice stars! :) Sounds like a great quilt along, makes me wish I had more time to sew.... but my extra time is focused lately on one big event haha <3

Marci Girl said...

Google translator works wonders too! Amazing!

Nicole said...

Nice Solstice stars - those HSTs are so versatile!
I can't wait to see your Sparkle Punch quilt.
Let me know how you find the starching.

**nicke... said...

thank heavens for google translator right! cute block. i should be sewing but i am blog surfing instead! ;)

Kelly said...

Love the star block, I am planning on having a go this weekend. Your mum doesn't want to visit the uk and help with my pressing ? ;)

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

The block is gorgeous and the fabrics look great!
I'm a fan of google translate too, helps when leaving comments on other people's blogs as well!

sweet diesel designs said...

Lovin' your solstice!