Saturday, December 10, 2011

Then and Now

In the early 80's, I wasn't yet a quilter, but definitely a crafter. I used to say that my hobby was 'anything with a needle' - embroidery, counted cross-stitch, household and gift items - anything I could stitch with a needle by hand or with my sewing machine.

One of the things I made in those early marriage days was a Christmas tree skirt. I loved Christmas plaid, and made this tree skirt, which our family has used ever since.
And yes, those are supposed to be holly leaves . . .

Well, the family is grown now and off on their own, and sorry to say, our tree skirt needs a little update. Plus, it has always seemed a tad too small. Sooo, this year, I've made a new one. Not in the traditional red and green, and not really in Christmas fabrics at all. But it 'fits' our living room, and I really like it.

The pattern is Wonderland by Empty Bobbin, and was a breeze to make, finishing at 45" square. The fabric mix started with some teal and green prints from Nancy Halvorsen's Jingle All the Way. Then some Silent Cinema, Anthology, and Wordplay were added in, along with some unidentifiable stash finds.
And, what may be my new favorite fabric, Starburst from Lemon Grove by Alice Kennedy.


I originally had something like this in mind for the quilting, and am somewhat disappointed I got off-track, with my lines much farther apart and much less organic. oh well.
Source: google.com via Lani on Pinterest
 Unfortunately, the original sewist is not referenced - if anyone recognizes this, please let me know so I can give proper credit.

Choosing buttons was a whole 'nother story - three shops later, and I finally {somewhat} settled on these.

Anyway, off to get the tree today, and once hubby gets the lights on, we'll dress it up in its modern new skirt!

Linking up with Friday Night Sew-In, Finish It Up Friday, and Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday!

Handmade by Heidi

24 comments:

  1. Well look how modern you have become over the years!! ;-) But I guess maybe at the time, the Christmas plaid skirt was modern too. Funny how times change, yes? The new tree skirt looks awesome Debbie. I hope you'll post a picture of your tree once it is "dressed". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Debbie! Love your mix of fabrics. Can't wait to see the "action" shots! I'm glad to hear we're not the only ones who are late getting our tree. Hoping to go Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, your new tree skirt looks wonderful.I love how you used not Christmasy fabrics. It makes it more fun, I think. Same as Heather, would love to see the picture of your "dressed" tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great, have fun decorating the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new skirt, Debbie! Wonder what we'll be making in 20 more years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new tree skirt. Beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! The fabrics, pattern and buttons all work so well together. Cannot wait to see how it looks when it dresses up your tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful. I need to get busy and make myself a tree skirt. Next year I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new one is gorgeous! I have to say I like the old one too though, it has a nice vintage vibe and the 'holly' made me smile! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colours in the tree skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg! I absolutely LOVE your old skirt, it's incredible! But the new skirt is rockin cool too! I'm so impressed and will definitely be sewing up a tree skirt for next year :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your buttons you picked! It turned out too pretty, but I also love your old well loved tree skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY!! Seeing your tree skirt totally made my day! I love the fabrics you chose. The button was actually the first thing I noticed- what a great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what an original tree skirt! I like that you didn't go with the "standard" Christmas colors, but matched it to the look of your room. I think you could use that year-round as well, folded in half and maybe draped on your mantle or a long table, or even the back of a couch. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! That is fantastic tree skirt and so great colours! It doesn't need to be always so so red and green! I love also your fabrics - my favourites, too!
    Merry Christmas! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing tree skirt! It's very modern and I love the fabrics you used. Your first tree skirt is so special you should try to repurpose it. And those do look like holly leaves ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie!!!!! Beautiful!!!!! I am so impressed that you hand sew (even buttons), I SUCK at hand sewing,LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks beautiful! I definitely like the choice of non-Christmas colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie, love it! Great fabric choices and love the button - it's perfect! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for linking up to TGIFF! I do love both these skirts :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a fun post! i loved reading the then and now. I LOVE your new tree skirt. pretty snazzy!

    thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! My mom has always decorated her tree in blue and green, as far back as I can remember. That skirt would have been perfect in her house. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job! We are buying our first Christmas tree at the end of the season (after 8 years of marriage, lol) and this is a great modern idea for a tree skirt!

    ReplyDelete