Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tuesday at the Table

She took one tentative bite, looked up at her adoring fans standing around her . . . and smiled. It was my granddaughter's first birthday, and she had just tasted her birthday cupcake, her first taste of real dessert.

The table is sometimes a crowd of people surrounding a high chair.

What is it about this time-honored tradition that is so meaningful? That baby's tastes are now expanded into new territory? Watching the discovery of joy found in a tasty treat, joy smeared all over one's face and in one's hair? Or the simple pleasure in a new experience?

What was baby thinking as she took that first bite, and as she proceeded to devour her cupcake, tiny bite by tiny bite? Was she really thinking that it was delicious? At the very least, she must have been realizing, "I am loved," as this act was indeed, a sharing of love through good food.

Whatever, it was a good thing. As was the scrumptious spread baby's parents placed before their family and friends in celebration of the undeniable blessing that is their precious daughter.

I contributed this easy appetizer to the buffet. It's a family favorite and great for a crowd. Enjoy.

Tortellini with Parmesan Dip

1 pkg. (9 oz.) each refrigerated spinach-cheese and plain cheese tortellini (of course, all plain is fine too)

Parmesan Dip:
1 1/2 cups ranch salad dressing
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper, to taste

Prepare tortellini according to package directions. Drain; cool under cold running water.

Prepare dip: Combine dressing, Parmesan, garlic, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate until serving.

Assembly: Skewer tortellini on wooden picks. Serve with dip.

6 comments:

  1. Today we must have appetizer's on the brain! I think I'll be fixing this one instead of mine, sound wonderful! What a great story and I am so glad you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great, Debbie! Will definitely have to add this to my go-to appetizer list! I think you've also given me an idea for a fun lunch for the boys. They love stabbing their food with toothpicks so maybe that's how I'll serve their tortellini next time and put the marinara on the side for dipping...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie - without a doubt you keep upping the bar with your posts. This one - oh so good. I needed a new appetizer for a party I'm going to this Saturday - these will be perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm, one of my favorite appetizers :)
    LOVE the pattern for the flannel star quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorites as well! Thanks so much for bringing it, and sharing in our special table moments!

    ReplyDelete