Monday, October 10, 2011

At Long Last

Last night, I did something I've been wanting to do, but have been scared to do, for quite a long time. I even took a class. I made a little quilt with every intention of doing it, but didn't see it through.

I.free.motion.quilted.

Yes, yes, I did. And I am soooo excited and pleased with my project, and honestly, more than a little proud of myself. Stippling it was not, but it definitely was free motion quilting.

I started out slow, first trying organic straight line, with the walking foot. So far, so good.

Not even considering another try at stippling {yet}, I tried several patterns on my sample quilt, and decided I was most comfortable with the bubbles. So I just went for it! Yeah, I went crazy out of control a few times, but I just stuck with it. Perfect? No way. But for my first try, I'm fine with it.

Feeling somewhat confident, I decided to try some loops. Not too bad either.

So anyway, I feel like I've had a life-changing experience. Totally inconsequential in the big scheme of things, but to me, today, pretty major. Cool.

18 comments:

  1. Good for you! It took me a long time to try it, but I was so glad when I did! It's kind of fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the loops. Good for you Debbie. Will have to try that on a quilt sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I think both the bubbles and little loops look wonderful! Congrats for giving it a try and can't wait to see that first quilt that you do the whole thing free style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! Braver than me - I've taken a class and I'm still not confident enough to try it on a real quilt. I love the loops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this with us...your practice is inspiring. Time for me to go out and buy a free motion foot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on taking the leap! Just keep practicing. You'll get better with every try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I think your stitching looks fantastic, you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you!! I'm in the middle of FMQing a quilt and I hadn't done it in so long it's looking a little rough in places...but my husband said "Why point out what I didn't notice?" So I'm going with the notion that it's better not perfectly quilted but in our living room than waiting till I could do it perfect and being stored in my WIP bin...
    Love your loops and your organic straight lines!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE IT!!! You are brave to give it a try. I don't even have the appropriate machine foot for it, so that's my excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you do any dancing to celebrate? I think they all look great! I really like your bubbles, and the loops look fun, too! I am totally jumping on the FMQ train as well...My plans for the evening are to make up some little quilts to practice on. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet! You did awesome. If that was your first attempt, you will be a pro in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! You are a natural and will be so comfortable in no time. Just keep practicing, your bubbles and loopy loops are great already!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your FMQing looks great! You obviously have a good feel for it. I, too, am terrified of it but really want to make it part of my repertoire. A class will be in order for me but first I have to wait until I get my new machine ... sometime in the new year. Meanwhile, your success makes me hopeful. I hope I'm half at least half as able.

    ReplyDelete
  14. By the way ... just curious ... what sewing machine do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to go! I keep wanting to try free-motion quilting, but have yet to work up the nerve. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've responded to you all by email, but I thought I'd answer Heather's question here too - I sew on a brother Innov-is QC1000. I confess I 'upgraded' from my 30 year old Elna 18 months ago specifically to be able to learn to fmq. So I'm glad I've made it over the first hurdle. Finally.

    ReplyDelete